We have chosen in our practice to do away from any mercury/silver fillings also known as amalgam fillings. Majority of the population do not realize that these fillings are composed of 50% mercury. It is also important to acknowledge that mercury is the most toxic nonradioactive substance on earth. If spilled, OSHA has special protocols are in place for their cleanup. Since the main component of amalgam fillings is mercury, we do not feel this restoration is warranted as a safe dental material. Published research has shown that mercury is more toxic than lead, cadmium or arsenic.
The World Health Organization (WHO) research has concluded that mercury containing dental fillings contribute to more mercury body burden than all other sources combined. They have also shown that mercury exposure can be greatly increased by personal habits such as bruxism and gum-chewing. We feel that there is no safe amount of mercury exposure, for this reason, in our practice we institute protocols for their safe removal.